Uno is one of the best drinking card games that should not need any introduction. It is fast, it is simple, and most important it is fun and gets you drunk.
Even though most of us may think of it as a kid’s game from our childhood that’s simple to understand. Childhood days behind us, add a few drinks to the mix and watch in laughter as your friends forget the simple rules.
It’s another example of how you can take a classic game and turn up the fun level, just like monopoly drinking game, and drinking jenga. Just a few example from our list of 20 drinking card games for adults.
This is not a normal deck of cards, it has 108 cards and with some fun action cards. Like a classic deck of cards, you have 4 suits, with 2 of each card. This means two 2’s, 3’s, and 2 of each action cards.
Uno Rules and How to Play
Uno is the ultimate game of portability, next to a deck of cards of course. It can easily be played in small or large groups with 3 to 10 players.
It takes practically no time to explain and learn the game. That can be one of the most frustrating endeavours to teach a new card game to friends. There’s always one person in the group who just doesn’t catch on. Not with Uno.
The goal of Uno is to get rid of all your cards.
To get rid of that fistful of cards, you have 3 options. Play a matching number or color card from your hand to match the top of the discard pile, give your friends pick ups or play the wild cards.
If you do not have a card, you must draw from the pile until you do.
How to Setup Uno:
1. To decide who is the dealer, you can each draw cards for the highest number or the oldest player. Action cards are higher than the numbered cards. After the number 10’s, it goes reverse, skip a turn, wild, give 2, give 4. If 2 players tie for the highest card, they each draw 1 card afterwards.
2. Deal 7 Uno Cards to each player face down. After 7 cards are dealt to each player you flip one card from the deck upwards.
The person to the left of the dealer (clockwise) always starts first. If it is one off the action cards (explained below) then this applies to that player, even if it’s a pick up card.
How to Play Uno Classic:
To play, the player has 3 options:
1. Match one of their cards from their deck from the top card that is visible from the deck. You can match by color or number.
2. Use the wild card.
3. Play a +4 action cards (definitions below).
If you DO NOT have card from the table, you must pickup until you can play. If you have a card (such as a wild card) that you can play you must before picking up. You could end up with a fistful of cards if you are unlucky here.
When a player is on their last card they must yell UNO. If the player fails to yell Uno, and another player catches you must pickup 2 cards.
First player to get rid of all their cards wins!
Some people use the Uno scoring system for a tournament game. All the players give their remaining cards to the winning player. The cards are tallied up and the winner receives all those points. The first player to 500 points wins. The points of the action cards are:
– Number cards are counted as that number, i.e. a 3 = 3 points.
– Pickup 2 = 20 points
– Reverse = 20 points
– Skip = 20 points
– Wild = 50 points
– Wild + Pickup 4 = 50 points
How to Play the Uno Action Cards
The Uno Action cards are the fun and exciting cards that are designed to help mix up the game. There are 5 different cards in total. There is wild draw 4, wild, draw 2, skip a turn, and reverse.
These switch the order of the game play. If it was going clockwise and you play it switches and vice versa.
* When playing 2 players, the reverse acts like a skip card.
Skip a Turn
When played the next person after you misses their turn.
* When playing with only 2 players, play a skip a turn card and the same player plays their next card right after.
Pick Up Two
When this card is played the next person has to pickup 2 (then miss their turn). If the next player after this person plays another + 2, then it turns into 4 cards and so on.
When played this player gets to choose which color will be played. It can be used at any time even if you do not have the color that was player.
Wild Pickup Four
This works the same as the wild card, that it can be played at any time and the next player has to pickup 4 and miss their turn. The person who played this card also gets to choose which color to continue as it is a wild card. If the next player after the person who picks up 4, plays another +4 cards, then the next player has to pickup 8 and miss their turn as well.
Drunk Uno: The Uno Drinking Card Game Rules
Now that we have explained all the official Uno Rules, time to show you how to get drunk!
This childhood favorite game will take on a whole new meaning. Your goal is to beat your opponents into a drunken submission while cheering in excitement.
We skip the tallying of the points at the end of the game, let’s face it, your math skills might not be top notch at the end of a game.
1. Forget the rules or must ask a question = take 1 drink
2. If you lose a turn because of a skip or miss a turn = take 1 drink
3. + 2 Card = take 2 drinks
4. + 4 Card = take 4 drinks
5. Anytime you do not have a matching card = take 1 drink and pickup till you do
6. If you forget to say Uno on last card = take 4 drinks
7. Play an Identical Card (same color and action) = everyone drinks 1
8. The player with most cards at the end of the game = shotguns entire beer.
9. Blank Wild Card. Depending on your version of Uno some games come with a blank Wild Card where you can fill in your own rule. Here you can get creative and fill in any rule you like!
Did you play Drunk Uno? Leave a comment with any creative rules that you made below!